Thank you to La chica de la burbuja for nominating me for a Liebster Award. I am honored by the nomination!
On to the questions and answers:
1. Who is your best friend?
My sister Melissa is my best friend. I tell her (almost) everything.
What was the last dream you had that you did not want to wake up from?
I don’t remember any of my dreams for long.
3. What makes you angry?
The systemic racial, social and economic injustices I see committed against groups of people by those in power makes me angry. And the anchors on Fox News cable channel.
4. If you could wake up tomorrow speaking another language – what would it be?
I would be fluent in several languages: Twi, Spanish and Swahili.
5. Tie or bow-tie?
Both are too formal. Neither.
6. What is your favourite colour?
It depends on the year. This year my favorite color is green. Last year it was yellow.
7. What is the album that best describes your life so far?
Acoustic Soul by India.Arie
8. What did you think clouds were when you were little?
I thought clouds hid the dead that lived in heaven. I viewed them as window treatments.
9. You have the opportunity to go space – do you take it?
No. There is more than enough I want to see right here on Earth.
10. When was the last time that you laughed so much your belly hurt?
When I discovered, and binged watched, the “Real House Husbands of Hollywood’ on Netflix a few months ago.
11. If you were reincarnated as an animal what would you be?
I would be a raven.
11 random facts about me
1. I didn’t get my license until I was 27 years old and I’ve only pumped gas once in my life.
2. I was a leg model for a magazine spread.
3. I interned at “Chicago Magazine” during my junior year of high school and published a feature article on a chess wiz.
4. Despite not knowing how to swim, I scuba dived in the Indian Ocean.
5. I developed an ulcer on my eye that rendered me blind for two days.
6. I started reading at the age of 3 and often read stories to my preschool classmates during storytime.
7. I was 10lbs when I was born! The biggest baby born at St. Anne’s Hospital at that point.
8. I have published poems in a chapbook, newspaper articles online, and a short story in a literary journal.
9. I’ve had locs for the last 17 years.
10. I have hearing loss in both ears.
11. I was an AmeriCorps volunteer right after college. I worked in the neighborhood I grew up in. I trained parents and kids about the dangers of lead poisoning.
My nominations for the Liebster Award are:
1. Librarian Dreams
2. Black Millennial Musings
3. The K Word
4. La chica de la burbuja
5. An Upturned Soul
List of questions for nominated bloggers:
1. What is your top 5 favorite books?
2. If time and money were not a consideration, what would you do as a career?
3. If you could have any superpower, what would it be and why?
4. What is one of your favorite quotes?
5. What song best captures the moment in your life right now?
6. At what age did you start feeling like an adult?
7. If you could live anywhere else in the world, where would you live?
8. How did you celebrate your last birthday?
9. Which teacher most inspired you, if any?
10. If you could change one thing about your personality, what would you change?
11. When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breath?
The Official Rules Of The Liebster Award
If you have been nominated for The Liebster Award AND YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT, write a blog post about the Liebster award in which you:
1. thank the person who nominated you, and post a link to their blog on your blog.
2. display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
3. answer 11 questions about yourself, which will be provided to you by the person who nominated you.
4. provide 11 random facts about yourself.
5. nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 1000 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
6. create a new list of questions for the blogger to answer.
7. list these rules in your post (You can copy and paste from here.) Once you have written and published it, you then have to:
8. Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it!)